Re: [OM] Panasonic GX-7, was: DX 14-54 on MFT

Subject: Re: [OM] Panasonic GX-7, was: DX 14-54 on MFT
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 16:24:53 -0500
Chuck wrote:
> For
> me it's moving much faster than usual and the 5D (even after 15 months
> of the E-M5) is still my ergonomic favorite.  My fingers just fall
> naturally to where they have to go on the controls without thinking
> about it much and I still love that Tamron 24-135 as a great walk-around
> lens.  I did the same last year after owning the E-M5 for only 2 months
> but was mildly surprised when I chose the same now, a year later.

A few days ago I spouted off on the E-M1 and how much better it is
than the E-M5. Moose took me to task, asking for specifics. I believe
that I don't have to dwell too deeply on the subject as Chuck's above
comment says a lot.

My A/B comparison of the E-M1 and E-M5 was very interesting. Without a
comparative, the E-M5 seems to be mighty fine. In the land of the
blind, the one-eyed man is king. But then you try the E-M1 and that
silly grin crosses your face. Going back to the E-M5 gives you an
"eeew" sensation.

Several things come to mind as to why the E-M1 is so much more
superior, ergonomically:

1. Better EVF. MUCH better EVF. The increased pixel count did the
trick. We've finally reached the point of pixel-count sufficiency.

2. Repositioned shutter-release. The E-M5's shutter-release position
forces the finger to be overly arched or the hand to be bent back too
much.

3. Improved dial position/shape. Combined with the poor
shutter-release position, the dials are hard to adjust without having
to move your hand on the right side. Fine if you are a left-hand
cradle shooter, not fine if you are a right-hand hold, left-hand
assist shooter.

4. Slightly roomier right-hand cockpit. I believe this is mostly due
to the repositioned shutter-release and improved body shape. The
backside is still crowded.

5. Heft. It is only slightly heavier, but what an improvement that
little bit makes. It REALLY helps balance larger lenses better. Not
nearly as good as an E-1/3/5, but significant.

6. Just general refinements that may not make any difference on their
own, but in combination makes for a better camera.

Whenever I get a new camera, it takes up about 800 pictures of intense
testing and learning before I feel comfortable using the camera in
anger (paying job). Anywhere from 1500-3000 before muscle memory kicks
in. I'm not sure the E-M5 really is up to the task of "muscle memory".
It's not a camera that I feel comfortable in grabbing for a shot and
having a reasonable expectation that it is set correctly for it
without looking at it.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx