Re: [OM] Anybody using magicJack? Got comments?

Subject: Re: [OM] Anybody using magicJack? Got comments?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 16:39:10 -0500
> I forgot to add that our 19th Century Link package, funky DSL +
> unlimited noisy LD, is $59/mo + taxes, etc. =  ±$75/mo

1. The "Unlimited noisy LD" would likely be a fee upgrade. You're
probably paying up to $10 for that. I'd drop it and go back to no fee
plan.

2. For right now, I wouldn't pay for any speed faster than 6Mb. Inside
baseball reasons for that answer.

3. Your "community" probably has an EAS (Extended Area Service) which
allows you do dial "neighboring communities" as though they are a
local call, not long-distance. This is a voter-instituted thing that
likely goes back many decades. Your community can vote to do away with
it. Essentially, you are paying, maybe $5 per month to save on calls
to the next community which you never make.

4. 19th CenturyLink has "save the customer" deals which you might be
able to utilize.

5. Those taxes, fees, etc., are huge and often times apply to the ILEC
where the CLEC gets to avoid a lot of them. Certainly not fair.

6. Check the fine print. Dollars to donuts you are paying a fee for
touch-tone service. Seriously.

7. $59 (before taxes) is actually not too far out of line. My guess is
that you have a package deal which gives you 3-way calling,
call-waiting, call-forwarding, caller-ID, free or reduced rate
long-distance, DSL, EAS calling and partridges in your pear trees.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx