Re: [OM] Honduras photos was FLASH! vs No Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Honduras photos was FLASH! vs No Flash
From: <r.burnette@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 15:21:48 -0500
Cc: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Tina:

Very nice work. I checked out all 242 photos. You have a real affinity for
people expressed beautifully with your photographic craftsmanship. I have to
admire your dedication and determination, too. You lived in some extremely
primitive conditions in order to get your photos.

Did you process your own film? I used to use Diafine two-bath developer. In use
the "normal" ASA/ISO for Tri-X was 1250-1600. The extra stops really came in
handy with slower lenses. I shot a lot of photos at 1600 ASA. It was near
impossible to over develop negatives, since the developing time was chemically
self-limiting. Diafine was/is a fine grain developer like Acufine, which was/is
made by the same company. Diafine and Tri-X were a very good combination for
B&W back in the day. I used a Lucky (Japanese) enlarger purchased in Okinawa,
(similar to the Vivitar E-74), a "cold light" enlarger head from Zone VI, El
Nikkor lenses, and variable contrast paper.

I still have all of my enlarging equipment, including 35mm, 2 1/4" X 2 1/4,"
and 2 1/4" by 3 1/4" negative carriers for the enlarger. It is a nice enlarger,
a poor man's Besseler or Omega. ;o) It is still in great shape. Recently I have
been thinking of creating a darkroom in my basement, dragging out my OMs (1, 2,
and 4) and some B&W film, and once again trying my hand at developing and
printing. I have always had a favorite spot in my heart for B&W photography. It
is a special art form.

Incidently, I bought my first OM-1 and 50mm 1.4, 50mm macro, 75-150mm zoom, and
300mm telephoto lenses in Okinawa (1974). I wanted to get an outstanding
Japanese enlarger to go with them. Imagine my surprise to learn that the
Japanese made very few enlargers. I only found the Lucky. I was told that the
Japanese preferred European made enlargers. Fancy that. ;o) The Lucky worked so
well that I never bothered replacing it.

Robert