Re: [OM] Good monitor deal

Subject: Re: [OM] Good monitor deal
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 12:32:14 -0800
On 2/8/2014 8:55 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Dell UltraSharp U2412M Black IPS Panel 24" - $259 with promo code
> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047&nm_mc=EMC-EXPRESS020814&cm_mmc=EMC-EXPRESS020814-_-EMC-020814-Index-_-LCDMonitors-_-24260047-L01B>

Thanks for the head's up. I get their emails, but don't always have the
patience to go to the web site and look.

One arrived here a few days ago. Things have been busy for me - hopelessly
behind of image posts - but I finally got
around to connecting it up yesterday.

After recovering from partial blindness from the initial brightness, I have to
say it's pretty good.

> I have this equivalent in a smaller size - 23" and only 1920x1080 vs.
> this one with 24" 1920x1200.

That's part of what got me to buy one. I really dislike the effect of HD aspect
ratios on several things, especially
portrait orientation images. I continue to be mystified why virtually all add
on menus on browsers and such eat up
precious vertical space. I'm really liking the additional vertical resolution -
wonderful for PS palettes.

> IPS panel with very wide viewing angle and excellent color.

Viewing angle is a huge improvement over my TN Samsung. Color is much the same.
I need to profile it now. I think the
biggest problem, as usual will be choosing an overall brightness setting. I
work in a room that is intentionally rather
dim, and varies little with outside light. This thing will go WAY brighter than
I need.

> I paid $319 for my smaller one about 18 months ago and
> think this is probably a good price/performance deal.  The screen raises
> and lowers effortlessly so you can rotate the display 90 degrees if
> you'd like a portrait orientation.  It's also fairly light and easily
> disassembled/packed and reassembled so I take it to Florida with me for
> PhotoShop work.  Recommended.

Thanks, good recommendation!

Sun Glasses Moose