Re: [OM] PhotoShop CC

Subject: Re: [OM] PhotoShop CC
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 14:30:17 -0800
On 2/14/2014 8:36 AM, David Thatcher wrote:
> Chuck,
>
> Sorry :)   somtimes I can be effusive to the point of exasperation, but
> at other times... hmmmm....
>
> DCRAW is a c application/tool for integration into other
> things (like The GIMP). This is the place to watch for the supported
> devices list and the (very few) caveats:
> http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

It is also available compiled into a command line application. I used it pretty
extensively to process Raw files
produced using CHDK on the Canon A710 and A650 cameras. As they didn't have
conventional headers and embedded JPEGs,
browser/viewers couldn't handle them and other Raw converters didn't work with
them.

In that form, it's quite powerful and requires a relatively awkward workflow.
If you want different settings, you have
to run it again, then open the output file to view the results. Using the Send
To capability of Windoze Explorer, I
could batch process image files relatively automatically.

Its highlight recovery options are relatively powerful seeming, but not as good
as ACR. Color is based on the IT8
model*; the default colors produced will differ from Oly JPEG/Viewer and from
ACR.

> UFRAW is a standalone program, with a front end that is derived from
> DCRAW, providing a complete RAW pre-processor. It is available here:
> http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/
> (Windows: http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Install.html#MS)

I've not used UFRAW. There are/have been quite a few programs with graphic UIs
that use DCRaw underneath for Raw
conversion. The ones I ran into some years ago generally simplified the range
of possible options.

ACR Moose

* When the A650 came out, I provided Dave with a shot of an IT8 target in
midday sun so he could add it to DCRaw. As the
source code is available, one could roll one's own colors.