Re: [OM] PhotoShop CC

Subject: Re: [OM] PhotoShop CC
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 11:10:57 -0600
On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Jez Cunningham <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not quite - you license the right to use it as you said, but there is a
> concept of a perpetual licence that means when you stop paying you can keep
> using the software. This is how PS used to be.
> Jez

Correct.  That's the one big difference.  For example, my copy of LR5 is
separate from the CC version (even though there was one bundled with PSCC,
I opted to not install it).  If I choose not to renew, at least my copy of
LR5 still works.  Even if they drop support and upgrades for it in a year
or so, as long as I don't need some new feature or import converter that
LR5 doesn't already have, I can go on using it forever.

"Software as a service" has been the Holy Grail for software companies as
long as I can remember.  It's only just now that some of them, like Adobe
and Microsoft, are forcing the issue with CC and Office365.

Microsoft's big problem is that 90% of the users of Office are perfectly
content with the feature set in Office95.  Hell, some of them are happy
with the earlier version.  Convincing people to buy a new office suite
every year or every couple of years is very difficult, especially when you
do things like they did with Office2007 and 2010 - take a UI that EVERYBODY
on the planet, more or less, knows in their sleep, and hide it behind
layered contextual menus and goofy ribbon bars.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie