Re: [OM] PhotoShop CC

Subject: Re: [OM] PhotoShop CC
From: "philippe.amard" <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 17:22:53 +0100
To my knowledge you never "own" software.
You pay for a right to use.
Remember you ticked that box stating you accepted the terms and
conditions?
Nathan will certainly confirm.

CC doesn't modify this. Just that you are paying a fraction monthly
rather than a lump sum.

Amites
Philippe

Le 14 févr. 14 à 16:33, Chuck Norcutt a écrit :

> I've been wondering for a long time if I should sign up for the $9.95
> monthly tax for Adobe CC.  I knew some of you had bitten the bullet
> so I
> had an interesting email conversation with Moose a few days ago about
> how CC works.  He told me that CC works like normal software
> updates...
> you download and install something that adds function to your existing
> copies of PhotoShop and/or Lightroom.
>
> But the first question that then came to mind was whether I was buying
> that new function of just renting it.  Moose wasn't sure of the answer
> on that one so I called Adobe customer support to find out.
> Unfortunately, the answer is that we're just renting it.  If they
> decide
> to charge $20/month next year and you decide (as I would if that
> happened) that you're going to pull out, all of the software you
> downloaded since you started using CC will no longer work.
>
> So my choice is to skip the Adobe tax since I have all the PS
> function I
> can use in the foreseeable future... actually, way more than I know
> how
> to use or probably ever will.  The serious risk, however, is Adobe
> ACR.
>  Right now all my cameras are supported.  As he and I discussed, I am
> very dependent on ACR since it's my primary processing engine. While I
> do, on occasion, get into the layers and masks and start moving and
> patching things, most of my images don't see any significant
> processing
> beyond ACR.
>
> So, at the moment, it appears that my camera trading is going to be
> restricted to whatever is supported in CS6.  Beyond that I may still
> be
> forced to pay the tax (whatever it is at the time) or find another raw
> processor (if it exists then) that's as good as ACR.
>
> ps:  My parting words to the rep were that he had just lost a
> customer.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
> --

to the eye. Antoine de Saint Exupéry in Le Petit Prince.
NO ARCHIVE