[OM] PhotoShop CC

Subject: [OM] PhotoShop CC
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 10:33:03 -0500
I've been wondering for a long time if I should sign up for the $9.95
monthly tax for Adobe CC.  I knew some of you had bitten the bullet so I
had an interesting email conversation with Moose a few days ago about
how CC works.  He told me that CC works like normal software updates...
you download and install something that adds function to your existing
copies of PhotoShop and/or Lightroom.

But the first question that then came to mind was whether I was buying
that new function of just renting it.  Moose wasn't sure of the answer
on that one so I called Adobe customer support to find out.
Unfortunately, the answer is that we're just renting it.  If they decide
to charge $20/month next year and you decide (as I would if that
happened) that you're going to pull out, all of the software you
downloaded since you started using CC will no longer work.

So my choice is to skip the Adobe tax since I have all the PS function I
can use in the foreseeable future... actually, way more than I know how
to use or probably ever will.  The serious risk, however, is Adobe ACR.
  Right now all my cameras are supported.  As he and I discussed, I am
very dependent on ACR since it's my primary processing engine. While I
do, on occasion, get into the layers and masks and start moving and
patching things, most of my images don't see any significant processing
beyond ACR.

So, at the moment, it appears that my camera trading is going to be
restricted to whatever is supported in CS6.  Beyond that I may still be
forced to pay the tax (whatever it is at the time) or find another raw
processor (if it exists then) that's as good as ACR.

ps:  My parting words to the rep were that he had just lost a customer.

Chuck Norcutt