Re: [OM] EVF delay, shutter shock & the meaning of life

Subject: Re: [OM] EVF delay, shutter shock & the meaning of life
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 15:26:59 -0800
If you really care, you might refer such folks to:

Review: Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6, heading 'Shutter Speed
and Image Sharpness' about 2/3 down the
page. <http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/pz14-42/index.htm>*
*
GX1 Shutter-Induced Decrease in Lens Performance
<http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/pz14-42/shutter_lens.html>

http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.co.uk/p/analysis.html
The posts here listed under the heading 'Mirrorless Interchangeable lens
cameras Shutter Shock'
<http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.co.uk/p/analysis.html>

The examples of mechanical vs. electronic shutter are particularly persuasive.

The first one is the one that started it all, I believe, with the first careful
documentation of the problem. The image
'Blurred frame with double imaging' is similar to, although worse than, those
that first bothered me on the E-M5.

Again like my experience; "Image blurring appeared with all four M43 lenses in
the shutter speed range 1/20 second to
1/200 second, with the worst examples around 1/100 second. Mysteriously, most
but not all frames at the critical shutter
speeds were affected. Most severely affected were the longer lenses at their
longest focal length. "

Most disturbing; "These findings indicate that I cannot get reliably sharp
shots between 1/30 sec and 1/200 sec with the
Panasonic 100-300 mm or Olympus 75-300 mm lenses on the Panasonic GH2 body,
*/by any means at all/*."

Fortunately, as can be seen in one of the other links, the Olys in general and
E-M5 in particular aren't as bad as the
GH2 (and most other Pannys with mechanical shutter). And 1/8 second Anti-Shock
delay solves the problem, although
raising another for some subjects, as you have pointed out.

There are others reviews/posts, but these are the ones I've noted, and they
have nice examples, explanations, MTF
charts, etc., so might be scientific enough.

Dpreview commented on it in the E-PL5 review, and on not running into SS
trouble in the E-M1 review. I'm personally not
convinced there has been any change on the E-M1 other than more mass in the
body and extensive use of the big, heavy M.Z
12-40/2.8 Pro lens in their testing. Add mass, and the effect goes down.

Mass Speculation Moose