[OM] No Free Lunch [was EVF delay, shutter shock & the meaning of life]

Subject: [OM] No Free Lunch [was EVF delay, shutter shock & the meaning of life]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 17:05:42 -0800
On 12/21/2013 8:33 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Yep, I read it.  So?  There is ample  evidence for a delay and shutter
> shock with both cams. ...  Moral
> of the story is never underestimate people's ability to ignore the
> obvious and don't be surprised by bogus opinions

I wanted to take a quick pic of a little ornament to post, which I did.

But it wasn't as easy as I thought it should be. It hangs on the inside of our
front door, where the light isn't very
bright. I grabbed the GX7. As expected, my hands and the IS weren't up to 1/6
sec. @ 150 mm. So, nice opportunity to try
out the little pop-up flash.

But ... flash only works with the mechanical shutter, which syncs at 1/100 sec.
And guess what? At 100%, the bright
little highlights are larger blurs, with obvious motion blur on many, even with
flash. A different combo of aperture and
flash EV would probably mitigate it, but not make the image I wanted of a
tricky subject.

So I grab the E-PM2 and stick the little flash on it, kinda fussy, compared to
pop-up. Poof, with 1/8 second delay, no
motion blur I can see. Little, tiny highlights are just single, bright points.

The GX-7 exposures were better, and fine for web size.

Of course, you are right, I could have done it right from the beginning, use a
tripod or take it down and put it in good
light, but this was a spur of the moment idea, intended to take a moment. :-)

I can't post comparisons without re-shooting, as the GX7 had the 14-150 on it
and I used the 60/2.8 macro on the E-PM2.

Season's Greetings Moose