Re: [OM] Trouble in paradise--A7r

Subject: Re: [OM] Trouble in paradise--A7r
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 13:51:49 -0800
On 12/21/2013 11:15 AM, philippe.amard wrote:
> Le 21 déc. 13 à 18:32, Chuck Norcutt a écrit :
>
>> Well, you may call it 24x36 but the data tells me it's still only
>> 2000x1431 pixels or less than 3Mp.  That's less than 10% of the pixels
>> this camera is capable of producing.
> ???
>
> They're all there, or am I simply mistaken in my math?
> If not, where have they gone?

Aw, c'mon, guys.

All Chuck is saying is that once the 36 MP have been downsized to the web
image, there's only about 10% of that number.

He is also contending that is too few, too small, to say anything about the
detail the sensor is capable of capturing.

I agree. I am endlessly amused, alternating with nonplussed, at the comments
people make about cameras' and lenses'
capabilities based on web images that are down-sampled from full frames.

I can generally manage to convey the DR of a Raw file in an 8 bit JPEG. But
fine detail/resolution? I regularly struggle
with trying to give a sense in a web image of the detail in the original.
That's a reason I often post 100% crops.

I was just working on some of the "Into the Sun" images the other day. I was
admiring the detail captured in very low
light grasses in the shadows on one. The overall image is nice, but conveys
nothing of that but tonal qualities. The
part I was admiring is simply gone.

The same is true of shutter shock. I got all too many images with E-M5 at
first, including that year's time in New
England, with odd, double image-y effects, before I learned of shutter shock
and how to prevent it. But any/all of those
would be perfectly fine as a web image of the full, original frame.

I have a perhaps foolish presumption that the main reason for a 36 MP, FF
sensor camera with no AA filter is to capture
lots and lots of super fine detail, for large prints and/or the ability to crop
extensively. If that's not it, and the
reason is to enjoy one's old, MF lenses, what possible purpose is there in
going with the A7r? In that case, why not the
A7, with which you get EFC, and thus no shutter shock issues?

I have not looked at the images. Just dropped by to look at the list in the few
minutes after finishing my food
contribution and before leaving for a holiday party.

Post some 100% crops of center, mid, edge and corner, with and without shutter
shock speeds, and then we'll talk IQ. :-)

Clarify Critically Moose