Re: [OM] Computer Help

Subject: Re: [OM] Computer Help
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 17:19:25 -0500
This was still bugging me since Just a Bunch of Disks shouldn't have any
special characteristics regarding the disks.  I think your problem is
(and this was news to me but not terribly surprising) Windows XP doesn't
support disks larger than 2TB at all, and Win Vista and later may balk
at disks larger than 2.19TB depending on your hardware and if the
manufacturer of your 3TB disk pre-formatted it with a 2TB NTFS
partition.  To uses disks larger than 2.19 TB they must be formatted
differently with what's called a GPT format (GUID PT or Globally Unique
Partition Table).  Basically, the 3TB disk is up against the limits of
32-bit logical block addresses of the older MBR (Master Boot Record
Format).  GPT is a newer standard which uses 64-bit logical block
addresses.  In addition, if the disk was pre-formatted at the factory
with a 2TB partition that partition will have to be deleted and the disk
reformatted using GPT.  See this item for more details of what to do.
See answer #16 to question #12 at top of the page
<http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/i-have-a-3-tb-drive-windows-7-ultimate-wont-format/b1cc3811-f25f-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5>

If you follow the instructions there you should recover all of the
space.  But do be aware that that's only for a data drive.  If you want
to be able to boot from a 3TB drive there are hardware requirements
going back to the motherboard and a 64-bit OS is required.

This is just another of the many disk size limits DOS and Windows have
encountered over the years.  I think this should be the last one.
64-bit logical block addresses should probably be enough space to
encompass the universe... at least this universe. :-)

Good luck,
Chuck Norcutt