Re: [OM] Computer Help

Subject: Re: [OM] Computer Help
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 20:00:36 -0500
This is logical block addressing, not memory addressing.  32-bit Vista
and above do support 64-bit logical block addressing as long as the SATA
controller will support it.  Some don't.  Your's worked because you have
the luck of the draw hardware wise.  You also apparently got a disk that
was already formatted as GPT or at least was not already formatted as
MBR.  That would have required that you delete that partition to
reformat the drive as a full size GPT drive.

What you cannot do on 32-bit Vista is boot from that 3TB drive without
reformatting it back down to a 2TB MBR drive.  See the list of
restrictions by OS here. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPT_Disk>

Even if you have a 64-bit OS it's not a guarantee that your hardware can
boot from a GPT disk since the BIOS must recognize and support the
64-bit LBA and new data structures as well as the OS.  Most likely do by
this time but an older Vista or Win7 system might not.

Chuck Norcutt