Re: [OM] Well, dangit

Subject: Re: [OM] Well, dangit
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 22:35:15 -0800
On 12/16/2013 8:17 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
> Got the Domke F-5XB tonight.  It's wayyyyy smaller than I was led to
> believe from the reviews and the description.  If I work at it, I can
> squeeze the E-M5 with just the grip (no battery slice) and the Panny
> 20/1.7, plus the 12-50 and the FL-600r (the FL-50 is entirely too tall).
>
> And that's uncomfortably tight.  Essentially unusable in the field. So,
> back to Amazon it goes and I will apply the refund to one of the bigger
> J-bags that Moose suggested.

I suggested them as larger Domkes, with proper top openings.

I would not buy them, although I've often looked at them, for a few reasons.

- I don't see the point of buying canvas without a waterproof lining and/or
cover.

- I don't like the big, coarse snap hooks they use for closure. On big bags,
maybe. On smaller ones, no. They bang into
things, marring surfaces and making a lot of noise. They easily catch on things
as you pass by closely. I guess they are
a signature thing, but there are better alternatives.

- They don't have a belt alternative. I REALLY like wearing my bag as a waist
pack in the field.

- The shoulder strap is permanently attached.

- There is no hand handle, at least on some models.

I've said it before .. The older (some new still available on the 'Bay) LowePro
PhotoRunner is still the best small
waist/shoulder bag I know of for more than a single camera/lens.
<http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1311.R1.TR11.TRC1.A0.Xlowepro+photo&_nkw=lowepro+photo+runner&_sacat=0&_from=R40>

I'm talking about the one simply labeled PhotoRunner, without a number after
the name. The 'PhotoRunner 100'
replacement, already discontinued itself, doesn't look bad, but less flexible
than the original, with smaller side pockets.

It's the same length as the v. expensive bag Chris suggested, taller and wider
(and WAAAAAY cheaper.) The FL-50 will fit
in one end. E-M5 with 12-50, hood on, and the grip part of the HLD-6 will drop
lens down in the center, with room for
20/1.7 and other stuff at the other end.

The full battery grip will likely fit, as it's pretty flexible, but might
require a different partition set-up. The
battery holder part will certainly fit in the side pocket with lots of room for
other stuff.

I've been using one of these since OM days. I've bought lots of other bags
since. It's the one I keep coming back to.
It's still in great shape. But I've picked up a couple of spares on the 'Bay,
just in case.

> Damn.  I really wish I had a decent selection to choose from around here
> where I could actually see and try them, but I don't.

Bummer. A local shop is where I first saw the PhotoRunner.

It's My Bag Moose