Re: [OM] B&W and War

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W and War
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 11:07:40 +1100
I'm prevaricating, I suppose, but murder has a fairly specific definition and
killing an enemy combatant in war does not qualify. You could even argue that
it is pre-emptive self defence as that opponent has been charged with the duty
of killing you. What we are talking about is state sanctioned killing, avery
different thing. It is not defined as a crime and so there can be no 'mens rea'.
Rights are given to you by society and are not 'inalienable' - they can be
removed by your society as a punishment. Thus the right to liberty
(incarceration) and the right to life (capital punishment, civil war,
rebellion). The morality of this action is where the argument lies. Abortion is
a much more subtle argument as it is a balance between the rights of the mother
and those of the child confused by the level of foetal development - a blend of
philosophy, morality, theology and biology. Morally equivalent - no.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com

Author/Publisher: