Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 12:47:56 -0800
On 11/15/2013 6:17 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Add more real memory and/or put the system and LR's swap space on the
> SSD.

Yup. Real memory is always faster than any kind of mass storage device. Real
memory is accessed directly by the CPU; SSD
is accessed through the serial storage connection and the controller on the SSD.

With gobs of memory, one may set up an RAMdisk, which will be faster than an
SSD.

I couldn't easily find specs on an ASUS N72. Remember, SATA connections have
come in various speeds. So far, they have
gone from 150 MB/s to 300, to 600, with another big boost announced.

You can buy a SATA 6, 600 MB/s spec SSD, but if you have a slower connection on
the computer, slower is what you get. My
little netbook+ is SATA 1. An SSD has added some speed, relative to the
original 5200 RPM HD, but nothing spectacular.
As I recall, boot time dropped by almost half. I didn't expect all that much
speed increase, and bought it also for
lower power consumption and reliability.

> Adobe photo apps are well known to be memory hogs.

PS has lots of memory leakage, and I wouldn't be surprised if LR does, too.
After some time processing, I will notice
things starting to slow down. I then close it, run the memory defragmenter in
System Mechanic, start it up again, and
it's back to normal.

With lots of memory, I'd guess the effect will be less. I'm still on 32 bit, so
only 3GB available to the OS.

Speed of Thought Moose