Re: [OM] Scratch one BMW

Subject: Re: [OM] Scratch one BMW
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 08:56:55 -0700
>      Could also be that the rim is bent or the tyre is damaged.  A quick and
> easy test would be to mount the spare and see if the vibration goes away.

As there is enough bent up, I'm thinking the vibration (it's actually
very minor, but it wasn't there before) is tire/wheel damage or a
shimmy from the toe getting knocked out.

The sad thing is that the vehicle is so large that the impact damage
really doesn't look all that bad.

These newfangled Xenon projector headlights are wonderful, but...
What they light up, they light up extremely well. However, that sharp
line at the top of the low-beam coverage is so complete that there
isn't enough spill light to give you any idea that there is anything
out there. With older-style headlights, you can't tell what is out
there, but you usually know something is out there. At 80 mph, low
beams give you less than 4 seconds of visibility--and I had them
adjusted up as high as I could without blinding oncoming cars.

Friday evening, I went back to Iowa a different way. Just had regular
maintenance (oil change, lub, filters changed and tires rotated). I
won't say which state(s) it was in, but traffic on this particular
2-lane highway through desolate countryside was very light, but very
very fast. I averaged 90-100mph and never passed a single vehicle.
Amazingly enough, my gas mileage was still almost 25 mpg!!! It is
amazing how stable and positive control the vehicle is at those
speeds. That steering gets proportionally heavier to prevent bad
things from happening and the first couple inches of steering wheel
movement are almost a null zone, anyway.

No deer on that road.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx