Re: [OM] OK, my head hurts. Time to ask the group.

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, my head hurts. Time to ask the group.
From: "Walters, Martin" <Martin.Walters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 11:59:47 +0000
Chuck wrote: "  An old, MF lens may weigh a bit less but consider (at length)
the difficulty of doing away with AF when shooting with a very shallow depth of
field.  At 20 feet and 200/2.8 the DOF (depending on CoC assumptions) is 3-6
inches.  Not easy work."

Focusing is actually even more difficult than that.  I (at least) cannot fine
focus using the EM-5s EVF. For static objects the zoom function works just fine
with MF lenses.  When the subject is moving, or framing needs to be monitored
at the same time, the zoom function doesn't really work. As you note shallow
DOF becomes a real challenge.

Regarding weight, I found the T180/OM1.4x (total weight essentially 1kg or 2.2
lbs) quite acceptable in an airshow setting. Would I want to hike with it all
day? Perhaps not. But then, I don't hike all day anyway.

I take your point about compensating for "slow" lenses with increased ISO.
Don't have a problem with that.  What does concern me is that with the cheaper
zooms, it's the longer FLs that suffer from reduced IQ, and it's those longer
FLs that I'm looking to use.

Martin