Re: [OM] OK, my head hurts. Time to ask the group.

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, my head hurts. Time to ask the group.
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 09:28:27 -0500
On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 6:32 AM, Chuck Norcutt <
chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What Moose and Sandy said.  If you want the speed and the long focal
> length you have (and will have) no choice except to go with a slow 4/3
> zoom lens for AF and zoom convenience or an old MF lens for speed but
> with its very significant attendant size and weight.  f2.8 at 200 or
> 300mm is very big and very heavy no matter who makes it.  A click or two
> on the ISO dial is a small price to pay to get rid of several pounds of
> weight.  A Canon 200/2.8 weighs 1.7 lbs, the 70-200/2.8 weighs 3.8 lbs.
>   An old, MF lens may weigh a bit less but consider (at length) the
> difficulty of doing away with AF when shooting with a very shallow depth
> of field.  At 20 feet and 200/2.8 the DOF (depending on CoC assumptions)
> is 3-6 inches.  Not easy work.

After some more digging last night, I'm considering the Panny 45-175 or
45-200.  Since that's way under my original budget, I might pick up the OM
100/2.8 off the 'bay and try that for smaller clubs as well.  That would
also leave enough room in the budget for the HL-6.  Depending on how that
combo works out, and depending on how all of our jobs/finances/VA battles
shake out, I could look at something additional next year.

The dual-focus chip of the E-m1 would open the field some more... but I
will work with what I have.
--

Paul Braun  WD9GCO
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard