Re: [OM] OK, my head hurts. Time to ask the group.

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, my head hurts. Time to ask the group.
From: "Walters, Martin" <Martin.Walters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 11:30:18 +0000
Paul:
That's my lens challenge as well.  Primary use (occasional) would be at events
like airshows and for wildlife.  I'd like something that goes to 200-250mm and
is sharp at those FLs (I have the shorter FLs covered with native glass). I'd
also like autofocus for when things are moving and MF is not really viable -
which means native lenses.  I wouldn't want to spend the proverbial arm and a
leg either, as my MF lenses (100, 180, 300) could work in some situations. I'd
prefer to keep away from MF zooms (I have the big Tammy 80-200), to avoid
constantly changing the FL setting for the IS.

The 40-150 is cheap, but most reviews suggest that it's sharpness falls off
above 100mm or so. The similar length Panny lenses seem to suffer the same
issue.  Beyond these, there's the 75-300 (Oly) and 100-300 (Panny), though both
are best in good light.  Reviews suggest that these two are very similar in IQ,
which is reasonable out beyond 200mm. The price of the new 75-300 has come down
considerably.

If it would AF quickly on my EM-5, the 4/3 50-200 would be just fine, and
there's an excellent 1.4X to extend its reach.  The non-SWD version is not
particularly expensive (used).  I know it's a big lens, but probably not a lot
bigger and heavier than the Tammy 180/2.5 and OM 1.4X that I was using at the
airshow.

The new 40-150/2.8 would no doubt be nice, but it will be expensive and there's
no TC to extend the range.

Martin