Re: [OM] (OT) MIcrosoft computer question

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) MIcrosoft computer question
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 23:56:33 +1200
On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 22:03:04 +0930 David Thatcher wrote:

> Brian,
>
> I was wondering why you had chosen not to update (from a much, MUCH
> earlier thread)...
>
> I may be missing the point, but I offer the  below suggestions to see if
> they help.
>
> davidt
>

> On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 11:18:48PM +1200, Brian Swale wrote:
>
>     I have three versions in active use. 3.62 is very handy for
>     downloading some kinds of file without interacting with them. Kinds
>     that it doesn't understand, for example pdf, MP4 files
>
> r-click->'save target as...' (save linked content as / save image)
>
> ...or if you want it to NEVER process something:
>
> tools->preferences->advanced->downloads ands uncheck the 'hide file
> types opened by Opera'. Search for the ones you don't want it to open &
> delete them.
>

>     9.50 and 9.63, the last of the 9 series. Both will save whole web
>     pages very well (Firefox is utterly hopeless at that). I use 9.63 as
>     the testing browser when writing web pages. Nearly always fast to
>     load. Many other browsers (especially MSIE) do not display as Opera
>     does, which is sometimes a nuisance. I write using pure html. I'm not
>     prepared at this stage in my life to learn any more javascript or CSS
>     (which never worked well for me).
>
> How do you mean 'save'?  do you mean capture the entire page as the
> individual files (there are much better tools for this)? or as a single
> .mht file?
>
>     My main grumble with 9.63 is that any address typed into the command
>     line stays there for ever. I don't want that. So I try to not add any.
>     It is not possible to edit the contents of the saved command lines,
>     which is a real disappointment..
>
> tools->preferences->advanced->history->clear  will wipe your address
> history. Edit? type it again I suppose :)
>
>     None of these older Operas work with some modern page codes such as
>     facebook. Just have to go to the like of Firefox for that and endure
>     the interminable waits and profile building.
>
> Try updating FF frequently - in my experience there are really fast ones,
> and slower ones  (that's an oversimplification, but some releases ARE
> better than others) :)
>
>     9.50 has one curious characteristic. When it is started the command
>     line does not show. I have to tell it to start a new page. But I do
>     have some specific uses for it. I DID try more recent versions of
>     Opera more than a year ago, but got rid of them for reasons I don't
>     now remember. I have not tried any other recent versions because I
>     read somewhere that they will remove all other versions they
>     encounter. I will not tolerate that.

Thanks for your info, David.

When I was to save an entire web-page ( usually when there is no "print"
version available) the MHT file works very well for me.

Thanks for the
> tools->preferences->advanced->downloads ands uncheck the 'hide file
> types opened by Opera'. Search for the ones you don't want it to open &
> delete them.
tip; don't know how I overlooked that.

tools->preferences->advanced->history->clear  will wipe your address
> history. Edit? type it again I suppose :)
Yes I did that once. Once was enough.

I have installed Opera 16. At the very first it loaded and ran amazingly fast.
Now it's much slower, and often freezes so that no commands work.

I'll get used to it I suppose.  The so-called speed-dial is not nearly as good
as the saved set of links that 9.63 has (they occupy far too much screen
real-estate), but at least it is easy to kill off any that are not needed.

I am disappointed that it does not seem to have a button to force reload
when needed if the download stalls. (Happens here).

I have uninstalled FF, so it's self-generated downloads won't clog the
system now.

One important (to me) feature of version 9.50 is that I have discovered
where it's REAL browser cache is, and I understand how to manipulate the
saved, undifferentiated files inside it.
This is handy for when I was to save to disk, videos including you-tu.be
videos..

I watch to see which cache file is getting much bigger then repeatedly save
it to another location. These cache files often vanish when Opera is turned
off. But not from the new location. Once I have all the file saved, I rename it
as whatever it is and flv file type eg   this-one.flv

And there I have it.
Often I must hack the video URL as the creator seeks to make useful
downloading difficult.  For example,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe1PsVGUSaw&feature=youtu.be
had to be reformatted as
http://www.youtube.com/v/Qe1PsVGUSaw
for a save to work;
Likewise
Norway Atlantic highway    Atlanterhavsvelen 27, desember 2011
http://www.youtube.com/embed/4T4vc1QqiPM         split up the cache
and
http://www.youtube.com/v/4T4vc1QqiPM?version=1&amp;autohide=0

worked.

More recently, downloaded video files are broken up into sequential
segments of abut 1760 kb; I have not yet figured out how to link them, but it
must be possible since browsers do it automatically.

Brian Swale