Re: [OM] (OT) MIcrosoft computer question

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) MIcrosoft computer question
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 23:54:47 +1200
If I might add my 2-cents' worth.

Win Patrol from Bill P Studios enables one to have a good deal of control
over which programs start up and run in Windows.
Programs you didn't even know are there show up.

FireFox. One of these days soon I am likely to remove it from my system, if I
can get around to try some of the lesser-known browsers and like one.

Why?  It spends an inordinate amount of time, my time, recording what I do.
It tries, quite successfully sometimes, to second guess what I want to do.  I
don't need that, especially with the time overhead that imposes.

I keep track quite often on its internet usage. Together with other programs,
it seems to send more data from my computer than it downloads.

Google Chrome is too closely allied to Big Brother for my liking.

Avast anti virus is now interfering more and more in the running of this
machine. Sometimes in sheer annoyance I break the connection to stop it
slowing down what I am wanting to do. Especially just after start-up, when I
want to read my mail. It takes over all download bandwidth and for ages I do
not get my mail. I get a certain vicarious pleasure from seeing its complaint
that it was not able to complete a download :-)

Brian Swale. Daytime phone +64 03 449 2277
  http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/
  http://www.brianswale.com
           Mobile    021 145 4249
73 Fache Street, Clyde 9330, New Zealand