Re: [OM] (OT) MIcrosoft computer question

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) MIcrosoft computer question
From: <r.burnette@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 0:40:24 -0400
Cc: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Chuck,

I tried to discover the problem by observing the running processes, but I
didn't see anything that looked as though it was related. Nothing unusual
showed up on the Task Manager window. I did learn that it loads with Internet
Explorer 10 and shows up on every subsequent page loaded. At first I had
wondered if it could be associated with my Time-Warner Cable pages, but it
isn't.

I took your suggestion and installed Firefox. The pop-out did not load with
Firefox. It did not load with my Time-Warner Cable pages. However, TWC pages
were agonizingly s-l-o-w attempting to load  in Firefox and I kept getting a
pop-up window on the log-in page stating that a Shockwave plugin was failing to
load. I don't know whether that plug-in might be associated with the pop-out
that I'm trying to shed or merely something used by TWC in loading pages. Where
are the plug-ins located in Windows 7? I couldn't locate them.

The pop-out could very well have been associated with something I downloaded.
Many free downloads don't allow you to do custom downloads anymore. You have to
take the whole download and then try to uninstall anything you don't want. This
is a new computer with little more that the operating system pre-installed. So
I have had to download Adobe Reader, Open Office, a Media player, and other
things just to make it usable. And pop-up blocker does not prevent near
incessant ads on Internet Explorer. It's hard not to accidentally click on one.

I had forgotten just how annoying Windows can be. When I stated Windows 7 for
the first time, I had 81 updates to download and install. Like I said, I love
my Macs.

 Thanks for your assistance.

Robert