Re: [OM] (OT) MIcrosoft computer question

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) MIcrosoft computer question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 08:04:56 -0400
Add-ons/plug-ins are not associated with the operating system but with
the browser.

It sounds to me as though the problem may be an add-on/plug-in in IE.
To manage those things click on the IE Tools menu and click on "Manage
add-ons".  This gives a further menu for add-on types.  You'll likely
find what you're looking for under the first item "Toolbars and
Extensions" but check the other categories as well.  Since I don't use
IE I can't tell you off the top of my head how to delete add-ons but
they are easily disabled or enabled.  If you see something you think may
be suspicious just select it and then disable it and then restart the
browser to see what happens.  If the browser add-on has somehow
installed that pop-up window outside of the browser it may be necessary
to reboot after disabling the add-on.

I also use Time Warner Cable but don't often visit their pages since I
don't use their email or other services.  However, I have never noticed
any sort of performance problem with Firefox there or anywhere else.
"Shockwave" is the Adobe Flash Player.  To check/correct the
installation within Firefox go to this page using Firefox
<http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html>

Let me know what you discover on both browsers.

Chuck Norcutt

On 9/1/2013 12:40 AM, r.burnette@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Chuck,
>
> I tried to discover the problem by observing the running processes,
but I didn't see anything that looked as though it was related. Nothing
unusual showed up on the Task Manager window. I did learn that it loads
with Internet Explorer 10 and shows up on every subsequent page loaded.
At first I had wondered if it could be associated with my Time-Warner
Cable pages, but it isn't.

> I took your suggestion and installed Firefox. The pop-out did not
> load
with Firefox. It did not load with my Time-Warner Cable pages. However,
TWC pages were agonizingly s-l-o-w attempting to load in Firefox and I
kept getting a pop-up window on the log-in page stating that a Shockwave
plugin was failing to load. I don't know whether that plug-in might be
associated with the pop-out that I'm trying to shed or merely something
used by TWC in loading pages. Where are the plug-ins located in Windows
7? I couldn't locate them.

> The pop-out could very well have been associated with something I
downloaded. Many free downloads don't allow you to do custom downloads
anymore. You have to take the whole download and then try to uninstall
anything you don't want. This is a new computer with little more that
the operating system pre-installed. So I have had to download Adobe
Reader, Open Office, a Media player, and other things just to make it
usable. And pop-up blocker does not prevent near incessant ads on
Internet Explorer. It's hard not to accidentally click on one.

> I had forgotten just how annoying Windows can be. When I stated
Windows 7 for the first time, I had 81 updates to download and install.
Like I said, I love my Macs.