Re: [OM] Train Crash

Subject: Re: [OM] Train Crash
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 22:44:07 -0400 (EDT)

>A couple of clarifications: the train was not a high-speed (AVE) train. It was
>travelling on AVE tracks
>(which have a different gauge than standard Spanish rail) but it was a
>new(ish) type of hybrid train that
>can make use of both sets of tracks. It cannot reach the AVE speeds of 300
>km/h, only somewhere around
>200 km/h.

     I found some photos of RENFE passenger tains on RailPictures.net, among
which were:

     http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=441404&nseq=13

     http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=441398&nseq=14

     Are this the same type as in this morning's crash?  If I enlarge it I
notice that there is just a single axle between each carriage, rather than the
2-axle wheelset found on the TGV.  I'd be a bit uneasy about the stability of a
train with such an arrangement at high speed.

     Also, on TrainWeb I learned that it is illegal to photograph railway
equipment unless you have a permit.  Is this correct?  Sounds like something
from the facist era of Francisco Franco.

Chris