Re: [OM] Train Crash

Subject: Re: [OM] Train Crash
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 07:53:03 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>CNN has a really scary video of the train crash in Spain recorded by the
>security camera:
>
>http://www.cnn.com/
>
>I've ridden on that train before and my son rode it in April of this year.
>
>Scary!

     Watching this video it's obvious that one of the forward carriages simply
rolled over, taking the rest of the train with it.  According to the BBC
coverage, that curve was rated for a speed of 80km/h, and the train was going
at about 190km/h, more than twice the speed limit for that curve:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23453320

     For those not familiar, the Spanich RENFE high-speed trains are a direct
derivative of the French TGV trains, with the wheelsets adjusted for the
Spanish track gauge.

Chris