Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 23: medieval market, department day out, cycl

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 23: medieval market, department day out, cycling...
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 15:55:28 -0500
On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Plus how long for the trip each way to the airport, the cost of parking
> (vicious here), the check-in, security, the...
>
> Flight cost - anything from $100 to 250 one way, cattle class, extra for a
> check in bag..
> Road Tolls - $15
> Car fuel, depreciation, etc - whatever.
>
> Train would be a lot slower but I can read, work, get coffee, stretch
> legs. And I'll put money on the idea that Australian rail is worse than
> Amtrack.
> I think I might investigate the rolling options.  :-)
> I'll trade time and ease for rush and irritation anytime.
>

> On 11/06/2013, at 6:23 AM, Paul Braun wrote:
>
> > I can make the same trip from Chicago Midway to Memphis and
> > back for $220 round trip and it's a 1:43 flight.

I'd take the bus from the neighboring town to the airport - adds $54 round
trip.  I can relax and read on the bus.  I would need a rental car in
Memphis either way.  So, it's a bit over an hour on the bus, plus 1:30-ish
on the plane, so say three hours total.  During the morning.  The only
train option is to leave Chicago at 8pm and arrive in Memphis at 6:30AM the
next day, which means either you pay for the sleeper, or you don't really
sleep in a coach seat out in public.

--

Paul Braun
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard