Re: [OM] Image Editing System

Subject: Re: [OM] Image Editing System
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 21:26:31 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Norcutt" <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>I agree that 6 cores is probably overkill.  I could be proven wrong
> (since image processing is one place where it's easier than most
> applications to keep multiple threads busy) but I would be surprised if
> PhotoShop can keep 6 cores busy at all or, even if it can, at least for
> very long.  I'd choose a faster clock rate over more cores.

Good question, for CPU core usages, it is easy to make some checking. Open
Windows Task Manager, monitor the CPU core activities while running some
PS actions/filters. Just checked a few filters, most of them only use singe
core, one use dual core and "Find Edges" use all 4 core 8 threads. So it all
depends on how the software is written. Just like GPU acceleration, I
believe it only works with some later complex actions, most of the
traditional PS actions/filters only use the CPU.

Faster clock rate is a good suggestion. Actually, most of the later
processors are running at 3.3-3.7GHz, there are not much difference. Except
some Xeon E-5 processors.

> I have mixed feelings on the use of a large amount of RAM as a scratch
> disk.  A RAM disk is always very much faster than a real disk, even an
> SSD.  However, I suspect that even better performance can be gotten by
> simply allowing PhotoShop to use almost all of the RAM as it sees fit.
> Better performance will come about by not having to use a scratch disk
> at all.  The more RAM you take away from the system the more a scratch
> disk will have to be used.  My own strategy would be to maximize the
> total SIZE of the RAM (within cost constraints) and only if the system
> performance is slow consider adding a small SSD as a scratch disk.  But
> even before setting up the SSD as a PhotoShop exclusive scratch disk I'd
> try just allocating the SSD to system-wide virtual storage.  Virtual
> storage paging algorithms have been under development for almost 50
> years.  They work very well.

Again, it is easy to check, I have done careful checking before using
Ramdisk. No matter how small the file you edit, PS will create a temp file
on the scratch disk you selected. Every time you make an action, the file
size increases. For editing a 100MB image, the temp file can easily go over
2-3GB. A RAM scratch disk can make the action much smoother.

Also, I'm still using XP 32 bit, the extra RAM can only be used as Ramdisk.

SSD is good but I don't think it will help to speed up PS, I will just save
this money for now.

C.H.Ling