Re: [OM] New Camera, and some Photos Uploaded.

Subject: Re: [OM] New Camera, and some Photos Uploaded.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 20:34:35 -0800
On 1/31/2013 2:07 PM, Brian Swale wrote:
> Various grouches I've had / got with software include ..
>
> 1)  ...
> On the assumption that this story was correct, I looked at MS with a
> jaundiced eye from that time.

Assumption makes and ass of ...

A tendency to make assumptions based on random 'information' could be a source
of some of your troubles with your camera
gear and software? Your irritation is aimed as MS?? Not at the person who
either passed on to you a stolen program or
neglected to pass on the product key? Not at the person, you, who acted
unwisely, both in assuming that the program was
licensed, without any documentation, and in attempting to get automatic updates
to it.

> 2) This computer that I am writing on came with these MS programs
> installed: Word, Excel, Powerpoint - and I forget what else ...

So it irritates you that you were using stolen software, made a conscious
decision to let the owner know, and the owner
asserted their rights?

To be clear, I make no judgement about use of unlicensed/paid for software,
only about being grouchy when that stops
working through your own actions.

> Until recently, when I acquired a Student version, I could no longer use
> these programs for writing and editing.
> And the damned Student version has releases of these programs which are
> elaborate and complicated far beyond my needs. The older simpler versions
> were better for me.

So MS should have ceased development and 'improvement' of their software to
stay competitive in the marketplace, just so
you will not be inconvenienced?

Now I happen to agree with you about the differences. We are still using (a
licensed copy of) Office 97. My newish
computer came with a demo copy of Office 2007. I checked it out briefly. I
suppose it works much the same for basic
operations as 97, but the look/layout has changed so much that I could see a
learning curve ahead of me, at a $ price,
and have not used it.

It should be quite easy, BTW, to buy a used copy of whatever version you were
using, with product key, on the 'Bay or
elsewhere.

> 3) Fairly recently  ...

As CH has replied, Windows allows you to choose which programs open which files
by default. Given that it is an open
system, with potentially many different applications to open any particular
file type, what other, more sensible thing
could they do? Many programs offer a choice when being installed as to which
file types they should be the default
program for. It's easy, if impatient and/or not paying attention, to just click
on another continue key.

If you had looked that up in Windows Help or with a web search, you would have
saved a lot of trouble.

Actually, if you had looked at the options on the "Open With" menu, it's pretty
obvious how to change the default.

What else could "Change Default Program" mean? What else could a box to tick
that says "Always use the selected program
to open this kind of file." possibly mean?

Impatience, anger and assumptions that prejudice us to assume the worst may
easily blind us to the obvious staring us in
the face.

A real PITB

Mostly inflicted by ... ?

A. Strict Moose