Re: [OM] New Camera, and some Photos Uploaded.

Subject: Re: [OM] New Camera, and some Photos Uploaded.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:22:26 -0500
It had been running regularly on the park's wi-fi.  I don't know why it
wasn't connected or whether the iCloud backup procedure had anything at
all to do with the failure.  In any case it shouldn't have happened.
The OS should never fail and especially it should never fail due to an
application.

Apple computers are probably more reliable than Windows computers due to
device drivers.  Device drivers operate at a higher security level than
ordinary apps and can do more damage if they fail.  Since Apple has
tight control on all devices and their drivers they can exercise tight
quality control.  Windows is a much less controlled environment for
drivers.  Anyone can build one.

I'm staring at a case in point as I write this.  I brought my new Win7
desktop to Florida with me.  At home it operates on a wired network and
is very reliable.  Here it's connected to my router via wi-fi.  I've
installed a NetGear wi-fi adapter and, ever since, the computer will
sometimes fail it it's unattended long enough for it go into sleep mode.
  Turn off sleep mode and that doesn't happen any more.  I still have to
prove it (by substitution with another brand adapter) but suspect that
the problem is the NetGear device driver.  The replacement adapter is on
its way and I'll soon know the answer.

Chuck Norcutt