Re: [OM] Since Olympus refused to give us what we wanted somebody else w

Subject: Re: [OM] Since Olympus refused to give us what we wanted somebody else will
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 10:46:37 -0600
> Would you really expect Olympus to produce something like that for old,
> manual focus Zuikos?  Really?  Why hasn't MegaBones done it?  What about
> the patent filings?  Olympus didn't even want to do a pure mechanical
> adapter let alone reduction optics.  Remember?  Camera manufacturers are
> really in the business of selling lenses.

Obviously, not now. I doubt there are more than a half-dozen old
geezers inside of Olympus that even remember that the OM system
existed in real life and not just inside the museum showcase in the
lobby.

Khen is one. I know a couple others. That's half of them!

Why Olympus failed to support the OM lenses back at the beginning of
the digital era was another one of those fateful decisions likely
based on the continual problem of them not knowing how to walk and
chew gum at the same time. They killed off the OM line long before
they introduced the E-system. I figure that all the photographers in
Olympus had bought Canons for themselves years before and assumed that
all their users did the same.

Metabones will build whatever the market demands. I'm more confident
in their ability to listen to the rails than most of the Japanese
camera companies.

Honestly, I don't like the idea of buying a Canon 5DMk2/3 or 6D. As
much as I like the Mk3 (and I REALLY like that camera), I'm a great
fan of liveview. Especially for use with legacy lenses. It solves a
lot of exposure and focus related issues. To me, mirrorless has
nothing to do with camera/lens size and more to do with modern
convenience and logistics. I believe the attention paid to the compact
size of the m43 system is misdirected.

So, with an adapter that contains reduction optics, I'm free to look
at cameras other than the 5D series for my full-frame needs. Chances
are, Metabones is more likely to build an OM to Sony or OM to Canon
adapter than an OM-m43. m43 would be fine with me as the IBIS is a
killer feature.

Besides, a crop-sensor camera is still a whole lot less expensive than
a Canon FF DSLR. I'm not THAT married to Canon.

No matter what, with this latest development, my desire to do a mad
rush off and bust the credit card on a new digital camera is thwarted.
I'll gladly sit back and let the dust settle. (Well, that 4x5 pinhole
is calling...)

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx