Re: [OM] OM List Gallery

Subject: Re: [OM] OM List Gallery
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 16:02:10 -0800
For the moment, and several recent times, I can't get to full size images.
click, click, click, click - and I get to a
thumbnail smaller than the one I got there from, with a box of tiny "little
fingernails" next to it.

On 1/6/2013 1:38 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> The first trial system is now deleted.
>
> Live system is www.zone-10.com/tope2 which is based on Gallery 2. There's
> at least 18 of us signed up so far with about half of us having posted at
> least one photograph.
>
> I'll fix the icons and text along the way. It requires me dumpster diving
> into the CSS files to change the color codes. Some of these templates are a
> little better commented than others.
>
> So, here are a few questions:
>
> 1. Are we happy with the gallery system enough to proceed?

Proceed with what? This started as TOPE replacement. Now it seems to have
morphed into a general purpose display gallery
for list members.

I'm not sure I need/want that. I already have a gallery set up that I, at
least, find easier to navigate. And it sure is
easier to post stuff on. AND, I've just started moving to or adding a blog
style for image 'galleries', which several
people said they preferred viewing, compared to a gallery. I just finished
modifying the blog template to accommodate
images 1024 px wide.

I do think it may turn out to be a nice replacement for the social media sites
for those here without their own web sites.

> 2. What shall we name the beast?

What's wrong with TOPE? IBM stopped being short for anything long ago. Is
acronymic accuracy better than comfortable
familiarity?

> 3. Who can assist me with some verbocity in the gallery descriptions and
> other site instructions?

For TOPE, you can start by grabbing what is on Olaf's site.

> 4. What will our first TOPE of the new millenium be?

I was going to put the New Year's Day images in a gallery there. Should it be
the first new TOPE?

I think it would be nice to copy the self portrait images from the old TOPE as
TOPE Zero and encourage new additions.

Others have suggested eliminating the rule about no repeated topics. We could
just start the list over again, at least
for now, with Night Pictured, Bokeh, Abstract Photography, and so on.

I can offer some help with creating the list, dates, etc.

> 5. Rules? We don't need no stink'n rules!

I'm not so sure about that. TOPE lasted much longer than other list display
venues. It would probably still be going if
Olafo hadn't run out of steam. I think that had something to do with the modest
rules, stay on topic and shoot within a
relatively short defined period. Obviously, the Oly only rule has to go, just
as I could again easily abide by it! :-)

A lot of us waited with anticipation for the release of the next TOPE. If folks
just post to whatever theme shots from
whatever time, whenever they feel like it, I am afraid it will lose its cachet.

> 6. System changes, plugin adjustments?

I wasn't able to do the arrow key navigation ChrisB posted about. That would be
a great thing!

I know you've jumped into this with both feet ... But would a blog style
display be better, at least/especially for
TOPE? That's what everyone preferred in my recent test of displaying my images.
It's certainly worked well for Nathan
and for others not on this list. It seems to me there is an awful lot of
clicking to get anywhere in Gallery2.

> 7. Sizes look good?

At the moment, no.

> Shall we keep the ability to see full-size images?

Yes.

> 8. Maximum file size limits?

If you keep standard display size down to 800 pixels, that should take care of
Brian and any others obsessed with
download file sizes. I don't see much point in full-size image limits above
something like 1200x1000, at least until
screens take another leap in size/resolution. Does that put a sufficient limit
on file sizes for your resources?

> I'll happily host this thing and keep the lights on, but if somebody could
> give me a hand in keeping it moving forward, that would be welcome. I don't
> want it to be just my show. The way this is designed, it really is "user
> maintained", but the basic structure of the site needs occasional
> adjustment and modernization.

I'd like to say yes, but it really depends on how much learning of complex
stuff I don't have another use for might be
involved. When I was posting stuff on ZX, the interface was pretty clunky and
frustrating.

I still haven't done everything I would like with Singapore, and now I find
myself dipping my toe in the CSS waters for
a blog. I don't need much more time spent with code.

Just Spitballing Moose