Re: [OM] This Guy Walks Into An Online Auction Site.....

Subject: Re: [OM] This Guy Walks Into An Online Auction Site.....
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 05:54:28 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> >     I'd like to see your photos of that modification, even if it's obvious.
> >  I'm tempted to do
> > the same to an OM eyecup as there's a seller in Texas who has some
> > after-market ones with metal
> > frames that I would not stop to think about modifying.  These plastic
> > wrap-around ones don't
> > suit me.
>
> Well, Chris, the photos are not as illustrative as I'd like. I apparently
> used a carbide router
> bit in the drill press, with a cross-vise.
>
> Here's a few shots, all on the Oly E-300.
>
> First, the scene: ZD 7-14 at 7mm, f4 @ 1/13th. I removed the attachment from
> the Varimagni, and
> held it in the cross-vise with some simple closed-cell foam shims to avoid
> marring it.
>    http://www.bytesmiths.com/stuff/E7160383.jpeg
>
> Closer: ZD 50 macro, f2 @ 1/60th:
>    http://www.bytesmiths.com/stuff/E7160381.jpeg
>
> Closer still: ZD 50 macro, f2 @ 1/50th:
>    http://www.bytesmiths.com/stuff/E7160380.jpeg
>
> In retrospect, some careful file work probably would have been easier, but
> the cross-vise made
> this way pretty fast, as I didn't have to keep checking -- just took off
> exactly the amount the
> calliper said to take off! Sorry, but I no longer have the data -- should be
> simple to figure
> out with a reasonable calliper.

     If you can do that with a carbide router bit and a cross-vise, I'm sure I
can do it with the equipment I have here.  I still have my AMT cross-vise that
I used many years ago for light wood, plastic, and aluminum work.  The quill
bearings in the drill press just aren't good enough for doing precise work.

Chris