Re: [OM] This Guy Walks Into An Online Auction Site.....

Subject: Re: [OM] This Guy Walks Into An Online Auction Site.....
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 21:53:09 -0800
On 12/15/2012 6:11 PM, Jan Steinman wrote:
> ... I did a study of the various OM macro lenses on the E-300
> (http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/opage_1.html).

Ah yes, I remember that study. As you note, the changes in lighting make it
very hard to compare the lenses. Light
direction and degree of diffusion make such a big difference with 3D surfaces
like that, especially reflective ones.

What I don't recall noticing back then is that the limited camera resolution is
almost certainly masking the onset of
diffraction limiting of lens resolution, leading to possibly erroneous
conclusions about optimum aperture. Easier to see
now, with experience of a higher resolution 4/3 sensor.

Dr DOF would say all is in the numbers, but I have to see to believe. ;-)

Resolving Moose