Re: [OM] This Guy Walks Into An Online Auction Site.....

Subject: Re: [OM] This Guy Walks Into An Online Auction Site.....
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 12:51:37 -0800
On 12/12/2012 6:48 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
>> .....and comes away with an E-510 body for less than $50.  ...
>>
>> That's cool!  Does the OM varimagni finder fit the E-510's eyepiece frame?
> Probably not, since it's the same size as the one on the E-500.  Looks like
> there's going to be some interesting machine shop work in the near future.
>
>       Speaking of which, I bought a Manfrotto Super Clamp, and it's superb,
> exactly what I needed all along.  But, the post and platform for attaching
> the Manfrotto heads was massive and not adaptable to anything else.  So, I
> sat down and made my own which performs many functions.  I'll post some
> photos later after the knurling tool arrives and I put the finishing touches
> on it.

As long as this seems to be my week for being obstreperous ...

I understand that photography means many things to different people, and that
different aspects of it appeal to
different people. There have been a couple of interesting posts and comments
about that on TOP this week.

And I think it's wonderful that you are having such fun with making your own
gadgets for camera mounting and with thrift
shop diving for obscure lenses.

Still, the E-510 is just not a very good camera, in simple technical
capabilities, compared to contemporary DSLRS and
ILCs of rather modest cost. And, based on images you have posted, some of those
lenses are obscure for a reason; it
appears they aren't particularly good. That may be why they hit the market and
disappeared with hardly a trace many
years ago.

You might consider alternatives that could result in better images with less
trouble. As a simple example, you have just
had lots of fun getting set up to hold your camera steady in careful
relationship to your mostly flora subjects. Yet you
have commented that one of your regular problems in the field is subject
movement due to wind.

You may then branch off into making your own stem holders, ala the Wimberly
Plamp, and/or portable wind blocks or light
tents. These are techniques that have been used with success by many
photographers of flora in situ.

And yet, there are now cameras with as good IQ as the E-500/510 at four stops
higher ISOs. The step up to IS with the
510 should help, but IS has also improved since then. Toss those into the mix,
and one may get as good or better results
in the field, in moments, handheld, as with a bunch of heavy, time consuming
gear. Higher shutter speeds cure many
problems. Been there, done both.

And yes, I have Zuiko 50/3.5s, 80/4 Auto, 135/4.5, had a 90/2, and have other
good 35mm MF close-up/macro gear. Damn
fine lenses. But I'm getting better images of flora (and fauna), including
quite close-up, with contemporary lenses and
cameras than I got on film with the MF lenses - and with less effort while
carrying less weight.*

There are artistic reasons to choose some MF lenses for some subjects. Those
beautifully made old creations of brass,
steel and glass are also a delight to behold and hold. Yet for nice, sharp,
clear shots of plants, contemporary light,
plastic, AF lenses can do a spectacular job. As in the old days, Oly is doing
some wonderful lenses today.

Soooooo ... If a significant part of your goal is good quality images of your
local desert flora, I think you are going
about it in a way that will reward harder work with poorer results than
available alternatives.

And yet, I know that the Path is often more important than the Destination. If
your photographic path pleases you, just
ignore me. Whatever drives me seems to have required me to speak out; doesn't
mean it all means anything.

Opinionated** Moose

* Clearly, I am not an ascetic. Above my desk hangs a sign "Hard work never
killed anyone, but why risk it?". And I
mention weight frequently not only because it's an issue for me in the field,
but because of your descriptions of your
strenuous hikes, which I imagine would be easier and more enjoyable with less
weight to carry.

Perhaps Edward Weston would have revised his opinion of how far away from the
road things may be photogenic if his
equipment had been lighter. :-)

** Much as I might think of becoming a poor replacement for St. Walt and
missing in action Andrew, it appears I'm much
too gentle for a position as curmudgeon.