Re: [OM] This Guy Walks Into An Online Auction Site.....

Subject: Re: [OM] This Guy Walks Into An Online Auction Site.....
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 17:55:29 -0800
> From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> On 13 Dec 12, at 03:16, olympus-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>>>    Probably not, since it's the same size as the one on the E-500.  Looks
>>> like there's going to
>>> be some interesting machine shop work in the near future.
>>
>> I've successfully modified an OM Varimagni to fit the E-series eyepiece
>> frame. You need to take off
>> about half a millimetre, as I recall...
>>
>> I think I even have some photos somewhere. I'll try to dig them up if anyone
>> is seriously interested.
>
>     I'd like to see your photos of that modification, even if it's obvious.
> I'm tempted to do the same to an OM eyecup as there's a seller in Texas who
> has some after-market ones with metal frames that I would not stop to think
> about modifying.  These plastic wrap-around ones don't suit me.

Well, Chris, the photos are not as illustrative as I'd like. I apparently used
a carbide router bit in the drill press, with a cross-vise.

Here's a few shots, all on the Oly E-300.

First, the scene: ZD 7-14 at 7mm, f4 @ 1/13th. I removed the attachment from
the Varimagni, and held it in the cross-vise with some simple closed-cell foam
shims to avoid marring it.
    http://www.bytesmiths.com/stuff/E7160383.jpeg

Closer: ZD 50 macro, f2 @ 1/60th:
    http://www.bytesmiths.com/stuff/E7160381.jpeg

Closer still: ZD 50 macro, f2 @ 1/50th:
    http://www.bytesmiths.com/stuff/E7160380.jpeg

In retrospect, some careful file work probably would have been easier, but the
cross-vise made this way pretty fast, as I didn't have to keep checking -- just
took off exactly the amount the calliper said to take off! Sorry, but I no
longer have the data -- should be simple to figure out with a reasonable
calliper.

:::: It is much more ennobling to the human spirit to let people judge
themselves than to judge them. -- Stephen R. Covey