Re: [OM] OT: Weather Heads-Up

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Weather Heads-Up
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 17:28:11 -0700
On 10/30/2012 4:35 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Well, "Mudslide Moose" sounded a lot better than "our grass is almost
> always brown Moose".

I remember banking on the approach to DFW one winter. The woman next to me
looked out and asked why there was so much
sand in the yards below us. I pointed out that that's what grass looks like
there in the winter.

Grass in yards here is generally green year round. Wild grass is green in
winter and spring and 'golden' summer and
fall. When the green period starts and ends varies a lot by year.

> Some parts of California do have that problem of mudslides, though.

It's a quite large state with a huge variety of geology and terrain. There are
indeed places subject to mudslides, and
fools who build on them. There are also fools who build on flood plains, both
here and there.

Heck, there are even places where the mud bubbles and flows - but as yet
un-built upon.

Still, the percentage of developed area subject to mudslides is tiny.

There are also ,uh, 'volcanically interesting' areas. Long Valley, east of
Mammoth, is the caldera of a volcano that
completely destroyed itself in a prehistoric explosion. Lots of hot springs,
and the valley floor is slowly rising
(highly instrumented). Lassen is another, smaller volcano that destroyed itself
less completely.

So add volcanic activity to the reasons not to come here and crowd the place.
One little noted consequence of economic
woes is that net out migration from Calif. has slowed.

Stay Home Moose