Re: [OM] OT: Weather Heads-Up

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Weather Heads-Up
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 14:02:01 -0500
> My email wasn't working early this morning since my server is in Boston.
>   The server management said there was a wide spread power outage in the
> Boston area. They were up and running under emergency generators but
> couldn't get beyond the additional mail servers in the Boston area that
> they are dependent on.  Came back up about 10 am.

There are a couple of big fiber cuts, but otherwise, the
telecommunications network is holding up well except for in NYC where
the basement levels have generators, battery banks and power switches.
A couple of major data centers (in the cloud...) failed for the same
reason wreaking all sorts of havoc. We have terms for people who put
critical infrastructure in basement level.

But this is polite company, so I'll refrain.

AG