[OM] FF NEX? [was E-7? was OM-D List? [was --Favorite Defrag Program?]]

Subject: [OM] FF NEX? [was E-7? was OM-D List? [was --Favorite Defrag Program?]]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 16:45:28 -0700
On 8/20/2012 2:56 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> Also rumored is a Full Frame NEX.
> That would be the most popular camera by far. Sign me up for two.

OK, I've let the occasional references to such a beast go by. But really, what
are you guys smoking?

The NEX is APS-C, so the lenses won't cover FF. So, a FF NEX would require
different lenses.

NEX is CDAF, so far, so adapted conventional Sony/Minolta (D)SLR lenses aren't
going to work well.

They would have to:
1. Use a new sensor, with built in PDAF sensors, ala Nikon 1.

But that doesn't solve all the problems. Camera with a mount for the old
lenses? With fat body? Snout?  NEX mount with
adapter? There's no elegant solution for the register difference between the
old AF mount and NEX mount.

2.  Or start a whole new series of lenses, FF and optimized for CDAF. Isn't the
biggest downside mentioned by potential
buyers of the NEX the shortage of native lenses for it? Does Sony want to take
on creating yet another line of lenses?

Then there is the simple problem of size. I believe when most people casually
say they would love a FF NEX, they mean -
if it's about the same size. That doesn't happen under any design scenario.
Body and lenses both have to be larger for FF.

Are there really that many people who really want FF cameras, mirrorless or
not? There are very, very few uses for which
the sensors and lenses available in 4/3 and APS-C sensor sizes are not more
than adequate.

Is this the equivalent of the old days, when lots of 35mm shooters said how
much they would like MF, until they faced
the physical actuality of MF gear?

My take is that as long as Sony hasn't lost their collective marbles, the FF
NEX will be the imaginary, unattainable
ideal. Should such a thing appear, it will morph into Sony's great mistake.

Sony isn't a Ricoh, Sigma, even a Fuji. Their whole history and mind set is for
the large segments of markets. Do/will
they really want to get into a niche segment?

Pie In The Sky Moose