Re: [OM] E-7? was OM-D List? [was --Favorite Defrag Program?]

Subject: Re: [OM] E-7? was OM-D List? [was --Favorite Defrag Program?]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 12:07:38 -0700
On 8/17/2012 9:54 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> Olympus working on new body for top-pro lenses
> Yawn. Just deliver it. While you're at it, bright out that 100mm that
> was promised from the beginning. My expectations are pretty low.

Not interested in buying into 4/3, but I am interested to see what they are
doing.

Is it possible that Moose hit it on the head about the need to move already
built lenses?

Referring back to his lectures on the economics of manufacturing, the R&D for
the E-5 and for the sensor system in the
E-M5 are already spent and allocated. If the tooling for the E-5 is still in
place or storage, making a slightly updated
E-5 body with the serious new sensor system could be quite low investment.

It would be interesting to see a new pro body from the ground up, I suppose.
But my imagination doesn't see what there
is to improve on most aspects of the E-5 other than the inadequate sensor
system. (If you have an E-5, and love the
sensor system and IQ, I'm not talking about you, but about the pros and serious
amateurs who stayed away in droves.)

Unless they can put it on a serious diet. I know, I know, SERIOUS cameras, the
ones PROs use, are big and heavy. Yes,
that has been true for a long, long time, like since the beginning. But will it
hold, in the face of recent developments?

And how true will it be in the near future of the portions of the pro and
serious amateur market that a new, high end
4/3 body might have a chance with?

I doubt most pros LIKE hauling around a bunch of big, heavy equipment. They
have done so for the simple reason that
that's what has delivered quality images and physical reliability. We've
already seen the shift when the 5D (and the
later Nikon equivalent) appeared.

All will be revealed ...

Speculative Moose