Re: [OM] E-7? was OM-D List? [was --Favorite Defrag Program?]

Subject: Re: [OM] E-7? was OM-D List? [was --Favorite Defrag Program?]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 15:54:09 -0500
> Are the pros and "serious" amateurs not staying away now?  Oh yes, the
> OM-D.  Will that bring them to the E-system?

Nope. Not at all. Lens incompatibility. They really are two entirely
different systems. The specific things which are drawing customers to
the OM-D are not present in the E-system. The E-system competes with
their current systems. I know that I would never recommend that
anybody switch from a Canon EOS system to the E-System. In the past,
yes, but not now.

> I hope you realize, but people who just don't get off the bell
> curve from time to time.

LOL, I think I'm so far off the curve, I'd drown if the water rose..

> Maybe.  In the waning days of OM, the lenses overwhelmed the bodies,
> which were really perfect with the f2.8 variants.  Sort of a mismatch.

Very true. The 35-80/2.8 overwhelms an OM body. However, once you add
an MD2 with battery pack, things start to level out a bit.

> If the OM-7 were the size of a
> OM-4T with a MD, I'd be tickled.

The E-1/3/5 bodies are actually pretty close in size to an OM body
with MD2/battery. The 35-80/2.8 is not unlike the 12-60. All said and
done, the kits are much closer in size and weight to the E-bodies even
with the battery grips. At issue, though, is the OM's ability to be
lightened by removing all those appendages and throwing an F2.8 lens
on it. This is where the OM-D is a brilliant design.

> I doubt most pros LIKE hauling around a bunch of big, heavy equipment.
> They have done so for the simple reason that
> that's what has delivered quality images and physical reliability. We've
> already seen the shift when the 5D (and the
> later Nikon equivalent) appeared.

Well, not so fast. Go observe the kits that the typical hometown
working pro is using with these 5D/D700 (and variants) are using.
Almost without exception you will see a battery grip attached.

The big and heavy equipment has a place in this world. Size really
does matter. First of all, there is the issue of grip shape. When you
have the camera in your hand for hours at a time, having a large comfy
grip is nice. A small brick camera has the distinct advantage of
weight and balance, but then the controls are often compromised. The
OM-D is a very nice camera, but the controls are a bit cramped for the
hours-on-end pro. As to weight, I find that the bodies have to math
the weight of the typical lenses being used. If a person is into small
and lightweight lenses, then the camera needs to match. But if the
person is using big-honkin lenses, then having a camera with
substantial grip and mass are important. It's a leverage thing. So
far, the lenses aren't "there" yet.

AG

--
Ken Norton