Re: [OM] Clearly OT: Firefox 14.0.1 Churning

Subject: Re: [OM] Clearly OT: Firefox 14.0.1 Churning
From: "Ian Manners" <void@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:19:43 +0800 (WST)
Hi Jim,

> This is clearly OT, but I am getting frustrated with the latest version of
Firefox.  It seems to suffer from memory leak, if that
> is the term, and churns up processor activity repeatedly.

Could be a number of things, I normally tell people to first remove
all plugins to rule those out as they are the number 1 suspect if your
not using a developer build of Firefox.

Noscript is good, no memory leaks.

The Flash plugin combined with some websites is a known offender.

If that doesnt work then back your profile up and delete it. Just add
your bookmarks back and see how that goes. Sometimes you can end
up with garbage in your profile's prefs.js file that will lead to firefox not
releasing memory back to the pool after usage.

Sometimes if you update firefox and do not physically remove the
directory first it can leave something 'older' behind. I've seen this on
a Mac in the past which is why I always delete then install, as always,
if your unsure of what to do, backup first.

If the above sounds like another language, apologies, I'll find a webpage
to translate for you :)

Cheers
Ian Manners