Re: [OM] Images from Holidays in North Wales plus Xpro1 and OMD

Subject: Re: [OM] Images from Holidays in North Wales plus Xpro1 and OMD
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:21:19 -0500
Ian, I definitely follow your line of thinking in regard to the AUTO
vs. MANUAL situation with the cameras. It feels like I'm flying a
computer with most DSLRs. I'm thinking about the camera and how to
override something in it than I am intuitively just making the camera
do what I want it to do.

Yesterday, I was talking with a guy who used to shoot professionally.
He got burned out doing it and got so frustrated having to constantly
upgrade and so forth. The guy decided to go back to college and get
masters degrees in chemistry and physics. Funny that he thought that
physics and chemistry were less stressful than shooting weddings and
portraits.

He spotted my E-1 sitting on a chair and we talked about it and
photography in general. I had my camera bag there too, so I opened it
up, pulled out the OM-3Ti with 50/1.4 and handed it to him. The bright
grin that crossed his face was priceless.

"Real Controls! It has REAL CONTROLS!"

I then told him about the new darkroom I'm building. Further
excitement ensued. I just might have a darkroom assistant... His
teenage son has designs on one of my teenage daughters. We fathers
just might have to get ornery. (I have a story about them that I'm
just dying to tell, but can't in public. I'll just have to save it for
when I get together with Joel. Let's just say that my wife's feminist
boldness has rubbed off on our girls).

But, anyway, back to the X-Pro1. I've vowed to never buy another
camera again that has the number "1" in the name, or is the first of a
series. It's kinda like attending a "first annual _______". You just
really don't know if there will be a second and the first one has a
lot of kinks that need ironing out. But if I were to buy another "1"
camera, the X-Pro1 is awefully tempting. It is closer to the "timeless
design" that so many of us seek.

AG (I must just buy a Leica and be done with it) Schnozz

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx