Re: [OM] E-1, Heal Thyself

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1, Heal Thyself
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:00:27 -0500
After yesterday's discussion of the E-1 and various lenses, I was
feeling just a little bit guilty. So, on the way home last night I
took about fifty pictures with it. Standard-fare landscape stuff as
the sun was getting low and a big honkin thunderstorm was building to
the south. Good stuff, Maynard.

I took a couple shots with the 50/1.4, but quickly switched over to
the 24/2.8 and also a shot or two with the 100/2. I put a polarizer on
the 24/2.8 to pump it all up. Boy, did the shots look good on the
monitor. I haven't loaded them into a computer yet, but will tonight
or tomorrow. But after years of familiarization with the E-1, I'm
pretty pumped with what I see.

It's just a little reminder that this camera seems to naturally get
the colors and contrasts right. You don't have to work for them as
much. With the lowering and warming sunlight, the DMC-L1 would have
gone orange with everything. Even Ken Rockwell would gripe about those
colors and he's the king of nuked colors.

What is really wierd about the new OM-D dohicky camera is that of all
the sample photographs I've seen from everybody who has it, is that
almost without exception, we're looking at processed images with
settings that doesn't really show what the "natural" point for the
camera is. The few that I have seen does remind me quite a bit of the
C8080. Makes sense--Sony sensor with Olympus processing. And that's
not a bad thing. But what I still don't have a solid clue on is how
the camera handles "golden hour" light. Granted, my L1 is nastier than
normal, I've seen these wierd things though with all of the Panasonic
sensored cameras. Once you key in on it, you see it everywhere.

AG