Re: [OM] E-1, Heal Thyself

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1, Heal Thyself
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:39:35 -0500
> Given the chores of financial transactions and moving efforts that you have
> on your plate at this time, I appreciate any time you can spend on this
> list.

It's a sad state of affairs, when I can honestly say that this list
represents about the only sanity in my life right now.

> Thanks for the complimentary words.  Though I had tried the lens
> earlier and was disappointed by the difficulties in focusing it on the
> E-510, I had not given it a fair trial on the E-1.  Once I concentrated on
> zone focusing, and started working with the images, I realized that it was,
> for me, a winning combination.  I'm happy that you see the same things that
> I saw.

When it comes to optics and cameras, there are things that just don't
seem to make any sense, but once in a while, we eventually learn why
something works or doesn't work.

Take the Zuiko 200/4. A lovely lens, but woefully underperforming on
an OM body. Yet, it works great on the E-1. Why? Aperture actuator
vibration. The 100/2.8 works great on film but is less desirable on
Four-Thirds. The 24/2.8 is great on film, but so-so on my digitals.
The 100/2 is great on everything, of course.

You can see it in the viewfinder too. A lens may pop into focus really
nicely. Other lenses just mush in and out. Switch camera bodies and
what was nice on one doesn't do squat on the other.

Then there is the intangibles like image color, contrast, bokeh,
micro-contrast, etc., etc. The E-1's Kodak sensor, with the AA filter
from hell, just seems to completely mess up some lenses but is great
with others. The classic Zuiko 300/4.5 is a lens which just needs to
be glued to the E-1. Gorgeous. The 200/4, stopped down a touch is also
quite wonderful. The 35-80 gives you that hot-chocolate on a winter
day sensation. And then, there are those Leica lens combinations that
Jim uses...

AG

--
Ken Norton