Re: [OM] Shootin' In The Dark!

Subject: Re: [OM] Shootin' In The Dark!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 00:41:55 -0700
On 7/30/2012 7:08 AM, Bob Adler wrote:
> Looks like a nice tool. Noise at 400 is present but seems manageable. I look
> forward to seeing more work in varied environs and hearing your thoughts.

I did take it on an outing. These are a lightly edited selection.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/E-PL1%20First%20Outing/>

By that, I mean I left out duplicates, failures and intentionally OOF shots to
see how the lens behaved. An alternate
Moose ego came forward and simply downsized the JPEGs, right out of the camera
- NO manipulation at all.

There are a few I will likely do more with. I think the little girl in the
white tux is priceless and the 3D effect on
the blackberries is wonderful, for example, but mostly just a cruise through
what this Oly and the 14-150 does with
images of a broad range of subjects.The arrow with a tail, upper right, starts
a slide show.

Those who praise Oly's JPEG engine are certainly right. Like every digicam I've
known, - 2/3 EV is necessary for bright
conditions to avoid some blown highlights. Given that, and intentionally not
making exposure override changes, it did a
great job of exposure, color, contrast, etc. on a wide range of subjects and
light. Even the red channel on the roses
and hollyhocks at the end aren't blown.

Probably won't be seeing much more from the E-PL1. The OM-D is at the local UPS
depot, waiting to come to me tomorrow.
It's probably just as well it comes a week after the little one. I got some
time to get familiar with it. It's a real
mixed bag of good and bad point - and thing that just don't make sense.

For example, Auto ISO has a settable upper range, but the low end won't go
below 200. Yet ISO 100 is where the sensor
system really shines. Already by 200, worms start slithering around in the
shadows. So why not allow that for bright
conditions, without switching out of Auto?

A contradictory sort of a beast in several areas. I wouldn't like it as a solo
or primary camera. As a 95¢
back-up/alternate, I'm pleased.

Back Up Moose