Re: [OM] Odd Lenses - for Chuck & Chris.

Subject: Re: [OM] Odd Lenses - for Chuck & Chris.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 09:42:50 -0400
But I should also have pointed out that the smaller sensor camera
provides (or should provide) greater pixel density and higher resolution
lenses to allow the greater magnification that will be required in post
processing to equal the detail of the larger sensor camera.
Theoretically the 4/3 camera should provide a more detailed image if the
magnification ratios are the same.  In effect you may be getting the
detail of a 1:1 image on the larger sensor camera when taken on the
smaller sensor camera shot at 1:2.

That's a long way around saying that what I said was a technical
point... magnification on film or sensor is a function of focal length
only.  What you said relates to visible results.

But there are further complications in the real world.  The 4/3 camera
needs to capture 60 line pairs/mm to equal the image detail that the
35mm camera captures at 30 line pairs/mm.  But 30 line pairs/mm is a
fairly easy resolution target.  60 line pairs/mm is a tough target to
meet... not because of sensor or lens but because of vibration, wind,
subject motion, etc.  It's near the upper limit of what most photogs can
usually capture using careful technique on a good tripod.

Chuck Norcutt