Re: [OM] Odd Lenses - for Chuck & Chris.

Subject: Re: [OM] Odd Lenses - for Chuck & Chris.
From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 10:38:09 -0700
Chuck Norcutt asked:

While Chris Task said:

>  I like the first one with the 400/6.8.  Just think how much a comparable > >
> digital lens would cost, if you could find one.

Gentlemen:

Your wish is my command!

For interest, I have posted two test images... these are not great photos...
they were taken specifically to test the OM-D's capabilities.

The first is my neighbour's Quads (ATVs), parked about 90 meters (100 yards)
away - using the Telyt, hand held at ISO 3200. The 400 Telyt can be hand-held,
but with some difficulty.  It really does require a monopod/tripod, as the
length is simply too long to balance with such a small body.   (In real life, I
ususally use the Telyt with both monopod and shoulder stock.)

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/OMD-TEST1.html

Exposure was f6.8 @ 1/4000th second, as it was in broad daylight.

The other is a flower on Rose's cactus - this time with the Micro-Nikkor, again
hand held at ISO 3200.

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/OMD-TEST2.html

Exposure was 1/100th second @ f4 as the light level was low. (Pushing 9 at
night.)

The EM-5 balances very well with the 200 micro-Nikkor and (surprisingly) with
the 500mm Reflex Nikkor, when hand held.

Despite that, the 500 Mirror Reflex proved very difficult to use, if not on a
tripod. No amount of image stabilization would cure the camera shake, when hand
held. (Why am I not surprised?)  Interstingly, I have hand-held the 500
Reflex-Nikkor quite successfully, on the E3.

I also tried Leica's 80~200/4 Vario-Elmar. This one is not really usable with
the small Oly, as it is quite heavy and without a tripod collar.  I'd be scared
to put it on a tripod, using only the tripod thread on the Oly.  Too much
mass/leverage!  The balance, when hand-held, is awful!

I did not take any shots of or with this combination.

The surprise is that I really liked the OM-D with the 200mm Micro-Nikkor.  It's
light,  balances beautifully and the images look as if from Leica glass. Tack
sharp and lovely bokeh. The best $200, beater lens I've bought in many, many a
year!

These are not perfect, but I think the noise, for ISO 3200 is remarkably well
controlled.  I have made no efforts at all, to reduce the noise, as I wanted to
see what the noise level was.  I could, of course, run them through Noise Ninja
or Neat Image, to improve things, but that was not the point.  No noise
reduction was used, in LR, either.

These are reduced in size, for the internet (1280 px wide) but are otherwise
full frame, and saved at 99% - so dial up users be warned, these jpegs are over
1mb each!

I hope this helps.

David.