Re: [OM] Odd Lenses - for Chuck & Chris.

Subject: Re: [OM] Odd Lenses - for Chuck & Chris.
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 11:09:48 -0700

> Chuck Norcutt asked:
>
> > So where at the through the lenses photos?  :-)
>
> While Chris Trask said:
>
> >  I like the first one with the 400/6.8.  Just think how much a
comparable
> > digital lens would cost, if you could find one.
>
> Gentlemen:
>
> Your wish is my command!
>
> For interest, I have posted two test images... these are not great
photos...
> they were taken specifically to test the OM-D's capabilities.
>
> The first is my neighbour's Quads (ATVs), parked about 90 meters (100
yards)
> away - using the Telyt, hand held at ISO 3200. The 400 Telyt can be
hand-held,
> but with some difficulty.  It really does require a monopod/tripod, as the
> length is simply too long to balance with such a small body.   (In real
life, I
> ususally use the Telyt with both monopod and shoulder stock.)
>
> http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/OMD-TEST1.html
>
> Exposure was f6.8 @ 1/4000th second, as it was in broad daylight.
>
> The other is a flower on Rose's cactus - this time with the Micro-Nikkor,
again
> hand held at ISO 3200.
>
> http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/OMD-TEST2.html
>
> Exposure was 1/100th second @ f4 as the light level was low. (Pushing 9 at
> night.)

    <<SNIP>>

    Those are both very good demonstration photos.  How far away from the
cactus flower were you?

    Earlier this year I came across a difficult situation where I had an
uncommon flower growing out of a crack in a rock wall.  The base of the wall
was a 60º slope, so there was no opportunity to use a tripod.  I ended up
pressing my left hand on the wall and resting the nose of the lens in the
crook of my elbow.

    After these exercises with photographing the garden flower of a few days
ago, I now know that I can easily take that photo with the 75-260/4.5
telephoto plus tele-macro mounted on the tripod.  I'm learning all sorts of
new methods of taking difficult photos with these film/manual/mongrel
lenses.

Chris