Re: [OM] IMG: Sunday At The Gates Of Hell

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Sunday At The Gates Of Hell
From: Robert Adler <rgacpa@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 11:12:23 -0700
Chuck,
Next time you might want to try Helicon Focus. I think you could try their
trial version, but it may have some built in file size/number of blended
shots limitations.
This image is a blended one:
http://rgaphoto.com/2011-09-09-Yosemite/content/Tenaya_Lake_Sunrise_MASTER_large.html

As is this:
http://rgaphoto.com/2011-09-09-Yosemite/content/Olmstead_and_Half_Dome_Pano_MASTER_large.html

I've not tried Helicon with macro, but that seems to be what it is good at.
Good luck and I hope to see your results soon,
Bob

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Chuck Norcutt <
chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I tried focus stacking a couple of time without much success.  I was
> using CombineZ for the stacking but the failures were not due to the
> software.  My most frustrating failure was trying to shoot a branch cut
> from my neighbor's crabapple tree when it was in full bloom.  I had cut
> off the tip of a small branch leaving a cluster of leaves and blossoms
> about 12-15" long.  I had the foresight to put the cut end of the branch
> into a jar with water since I realized loss of water would cause
> drooping.  I set up the scene with a black background and shot the whole
> thing in natural light coming from my porch windows.  I
> expected good looking stuff.  It was from an exposure standpoint.  The
> individual shots were fine.  But the failure was not anticipating the
> amazing amount of droop of the petals and leaves despite being watered.
>   In the 1/2 hour or so it took me to cut the branch, get everything set
> up  and make the sequence of exposures the petals and leaves had drooped
> enough that the software couldn't line everything up... there were ghost
> images throughout.
>
> I'll try again someday, maybe using PhotoShop since it now supposedly
> does focus stacking.  I'll also get everything set up ahead of time. :-)
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> On 7/16/2012 1:49 PM, Bob Adler wrote:
> > Thanks Chuck. I think I'm always a bit disappointed with Scheimpflug,
> > though I shouldn't be. I want it all to be crispy clear. I think the
> > only way to really achieve that these days is to blend multi-focus
> > exposures. I'll be playing with that next, but it's tough when
> > anything is moving around (like people or wind blown foliage). Thanks
> > for taking a look and commenting Chuck, Bob
> >
> > Bob Adler www.rgaphoto.com
> >
> > On Jul 16, 2012, at 6:45 AM, Chuck Norcutt
> > <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Looks like you've already had as much practice as you need. :-)
> >>
> >> I have a lengthy book on using the view camera but that's as close
> >> as I've ever gotten to the subject.
> >>
> >> Chuck Norcutt

> http://www.rgaphoto.com/benches/content/SundayAtTheGatesOfHellBW_large.html
> >>>

> C&C always appreciated,